What should I do if my divorce lawyer withdrew from my case without my knowledge?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my divorce lawyer withdrew from my case without my knowledge?

I was unaware I was to appear in court today and was held in contempt.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have a very touchy situation here.  Why did you not know you had to appear in court?  Did your attorney advise you about the appearance at all?  I think your attorney withdrew the petition to avoid your really being held in contempt which could have meant that the judge could fine you or throw you in jail.  So in that respect he had your back.  But you need to get down to the main issue: why you were not aware of the court appearance.  If it was the failure of the attorney then you need to discuss the refiling and the fees associated with it. You need to determine where the break down in communication came. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption