Will financial support prior to court order be considered?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will financial support prior to court order be considered?

A month ago, I found out that I have a 9 month old daughter. The mother could use support now, and I feel morally obligated to pay it, and have no problem doing so. However I don’t want to have to make these payments twice if I get slammed with a retroactive balance. We are going to take the legal route, but I have no idea how long this can take, as I am not yet legally bound by a paternity test as the father. If I provide support now, what are the chances of that support being considered in possible retroactive payments, or in calculation of the child support amount to be determined.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This question is best asked to an attorney in your area  In many states voluntary child support payments are considered in calculating back child support.  It does not seem fair or equitable to penalize someone  who is stepping up to the plate with out a court order in place to take care of their child.  So I would do as you see fit but I would make sure that the payments are documented and that you have receipts for them.  Look at the child support guidelines in your state to get an idea about how much (generally 17% or your income).  COngratuleations and remember to nmake sure that you have a visitation order in place as well.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption