What can I do if I was burned when cooking something that I followed all of the directions for?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was burned when cooking something that I followed all of the directions for?

I was making stuffing in the microwave with water and oil, following the directions. After waiting 5 minutes for the liquid to get hot, I poured the stuffing mix into the bowl when it literally blew up in my face.I have a burn on my face and wrist. I emailed the store which wants me to come in and fill out an

Asked on October 18, 2016 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have a personal injury claim against both the manufacturer of the stuffing and the store where you purchased it. 
Prior to filing a lawsuit, it may be possible to settle the case with the insurance carriers for the manufacturer and store.  Notify the insurance carriers in writing of your personal injury claim.
When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in your medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.  Your personal injury claim filed with the insurance carriers for the store and manufacturer should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
If the case is settled with the insurance carriers for the store and manufacturer, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance carriers, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence and strict liability.
Negligence on the part of the manufacturer is the failure to exercise due care to produce a product that is not defective. 
Strict liability imposes liability whether or not due care was exercised.
The store is liable even if the store could not have known the product was defective.
If the case is settled with one but not both parties (store and manufacturer), only name the party with whom the case has not settled as a defendant in the case.
If the case is NOT settled, your lawsuit for negligence and strict liability must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption