IfIloan someone some moneyand they haven’tpaid it back, canI put a lien onthier business?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfIloan someone some moneyand they haven’tpaid it back, canI put a lien onthier business?

How would I go about this?

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well that depends on the agreement.  Is it in writing?  Is it a promissory note?  Generally speaking you have to sue some one based upon an agreement to pay back money, then obtain a judgement (after you have proven your case of course) and then execute - or collect - on the judgement.  If the agreement is not in writing it is harder to prove but not impossible. You just hope that the other person does not claim that it was a gift.  Once you have a judgement you can levy against personal property or real property or garnish wages - what ever your state permits.  You may want to consult with an attorney here. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption