If Ihave been boarding a dog and the owner has not paid the boarding fees, canI sell the dog?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ihave been boarding a dog and the owner has not paid the boarding fees, canI sell the dog?

I have not been paid for several months.

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would not do so just yet. You are in a touchy situuation here.  The dog is known as a chattel under the law and a chattel entrusted to you for safe keeping creates a bailment situation and selling the chattel becomes  a "conversion" for which you may be liable under state law.  So the thing to do is to sue them for the money and then to request of the court to allow you to sell the dog to help satisfy the judgement.  If you have an agreement then it will be binding.  If it is written then it is better but oral agreements can also be held valid under the law.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption