Am I owed accrued vacation pay?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I owed accrued vacation pay?

I left a company of 20 years in October and the employer refuses to pay me 8.5
days of accrued vacation. I have taken 2 weeks paid vacation every year since
starting in 1998. The employer has responded to the State of IL that because
there was never an employee hand book or written vacation policy, that I am not
owed. Can an employer not be liable by simply NOT putting the policy in writing?
Wouldn’t precedence and the fast that all employees received paid vacation play a
role in the States decision? The labor board has referred this for a hearing and
the employer has hired representation.

Asked on April 9, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Under California law, unless there is a union or collective bargaining agreement to the contrary, you are entitled to pay for your earned/accrued but unused vacation time when your employment ends--even if the'd had a "policy" to the contrary, such a policy does not override the law. (And also, you are right: past practice can be used to show policy, so the evidence is apparently that they did pay out vacation.)
Here is a link to a website put out by your state government: scroll down to item 10:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption