Can a life insurance company ask for further substantiation after a policy is in force?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a life insurance company ask for further substantiation after a policy is in force?

Life insurance company requesting policyholder to substantiate finances just before 2 year contestable period expires. If policyholder does not comply, company will rescind the policy.

Asked on June 15, 2013 under Insurance Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they may request substantiation of finances if there is any reason to suspect that the finances were not reported or described properly in the first place, and so the policy should not have been issued. Assuming that the policyholder's finances were properly stated, there is no reason--other than inconvenience--to not comply; and if they were not properly stated in applying for the policy, the policyholder may wish to speak with an attorney, since it is possible he or she may have committed insurance fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption