If a city charged and convicted me on an incident, can county now charge me with criminal charges on the same incident?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a city charged and convicted me on an incident, can county now charge me with criminal charges on the same incident?

Asked on July 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Robert Johnston / Law Office of Robert J. Johnston Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Its possible. But it would have to be different charges. The city and the county cannot both charge you with the exact charges. That would be a form of Double Jepardy. However, if the charges from the city and the charges from the county, are distinctly different, completely separate types of charges, then it can be done. Be very careful with this. Sometimes a city and the county do not communicate and if you end up being charged again, then by all means you must consult with an attorney and verify if what is happening is legal. Actually, you really should have an attorney anyway, regardless of whether this happens or not.

Robert J. Johnston


[email protected]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption