What can I do if my landlord wants to buy my home mobile home but not for what I’m asking?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my landlord wants to buy my home mobile home but not for what I’m asking?

My landlord is shutting down the mobile park because of EPA violations. I have a balance on the home yet, but the landlord only want to give $3,000 over the payoff. The home is a 17 year old model with many upgrades that I’ve done, about $15,000 worth. It has a big shed, fenced in back yard, new decks on both the front and back of the home, new oak hard wood flooring, new bay windows, etc. Do I have to except her offer? It’s either take her offer or move my home out at a cost to of about $7,000. What can I do?

Asked on April 2, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you don't have to accept her offer, it is your choice, but you identified the choice you face: take $3,000 in hand, or spend $7,000 to move something worth $15,000. It is purely voluntary what you choose to do, just like it is voluntary on the part of the landlord to offer money (and how much to offer.) If you can afford to pay $7k, it sounds like you'd be better off moving out--you'd essentally net $8k ahead. But if you can't pay to move it, you should take the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption