Is this a case regarding late pay and termination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is this a case regarding late pay and termination?

I worked at a grocery chain for 2 months. Yet, I did not receive my first paycheck that whole time (I didn’t get my first check until 3 days after my discharge). After going without pay for a month and 2 weeks, I lost my car and house. When I complained to management, they fired me.

Asked on November 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

While they have to pay you for all work that you did (e.g. for all time that you worked), so if you have not received your full pay, you could sue (e.g. in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se") for the remaining money, unless you had a written employment contract guarantying or protecting your employment, you were an "employee at will." As an employee at will, you could be terminated at any time, for any reason. So you would not have any "wrongful termination" claim, but only a claim for any pay you have not received.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption