Is there legal recourse for an employee whose social security number was revealed by the employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there legal recourse for an employee whose social security number was revealed by the employer?

My 16 year old daughter has just started her 1st job. In an e-mail from her
employer to all employees, there was a list of each employee’s full name,
address, phone numbers, and full social security numbers. My daughter is just
starting out in ‘adult’ life and her social security number and ID is now
compromised and this could affect the rest of her life. Do we have a legal case
to sue the employer?

Asked on April 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You only have a case to sue IF the release of information results in some harm or loss to her, such as identity theft, fraud, someone opening accounts or buying things in her name, etc. If she suffers that, then given such a widespread release and the likelihood it caused or contributed to the harm, you may be able to sue. But the law does not provide compensation for what could or may or might happen--only for what does. There is no lawsuit until and unless harm occurs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption