Is there anything that I can do to obtain any of the joint funds in an account?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything that I can do to obtain any of the joint funds in an account?

I indicated to my husband that I wanted to separate and possibly divorce

him due to his narcissistic alcoholic abusive ways. Since then he has

taken away all financial means of support I do not have my own account

because he would not let me. So now I have no money and no food to feed my

kid no gas, etc. Is there anything that I can legally do to obtain some financial


Asked on August 16, 2018 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are not alone and there are resources to help you.  You can file for child support (and often spousal support depending on the state) on your own in the state's Family Court system.  I am not familiar with Indiana and how it works there but I am going to give you a link to call the Department of Child Support and that is where you can start.  You do not have to have a lawyer, you can do it yourself.  As for the funds, they are as much yours as his if earned during the marriage.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption