Can my dad withhold insurance info from me because I won’t talk to him?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my dad withhold insurance info from me because I won’t talk to him?

I’m 18 and live in OR; my dad lives/works in TX. He covers me on health insurance through his employer. He will not give the insurance info to me unless I call him. I don’t want any contact with him. What can I do?

Asked on August 16, 2018 under Family Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a court order or settlement requiring him to cover you, he is not obligated to provide insurance for you once you turn 18; it is voluntary for him to do so. If it is voluntary, then not only does he not need to do it, but he also doesn't need to provide you any information about the policy--you have to talk to him if that's his "price" for the information. (And if he is providing it voluntarily--why won't you call someone who is providing a valuable, many-thousands-of-dollars-per-year benefit to you? Regardless of your feelings for him, you have to look at it as, "Is the occasional phone call worth $8,000, $10,000, or more per year?" And if the insurance is not worth the occasional contact, then dont' count on him to insure you but get--and pay for--your own insurance.)
If there is a settlement (such as from a divorce) requiring him to provide the insurance, he also has to provide information about it: if he won't, you could sue him for breach of contract (the settlement is a contract) to get the information and force him to honor his obligations. Similarly, if there was some court order or decree, you could bring a motion to hold him in contempt of court for not obeying the court's instructions. A family law attorney could help you do these things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption