Is it worth bringing my ex to court for violation of a court order to sell marital home?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it worth bringing my ex to court for violation of a court order to sell marital home?

We were ordered to sell the home 5 years ago. When ex took possession, sale sign went off of lawn, home off market; I don’t understand how without my consent/signature? Sale of home was to cover legal expenses, credit debt (all in my name). Since, my wages have been consistently garnished, my equity being held hostage. I lost faith in the legal system years ago when my divorce resulted in financial devastation for me. He is in contempt and what are my chances of succeeding in an enforceable outcome? I’d like to believe there are financial consequences for him.

Asked on June 21, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I can surely undertsand how the legal system can wear out a person and rock their faith, so to speak.  But I do believe that in the end justice does prevail.  What I worry about here is the statute of limtiations for bringing a contempt proceeding. But the divorce settllment agreement is a contract and the statute of limitations is, I believe, 10 years in your state for that. So please go and seek out legal help.  Force the sale.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption