How can I help getting my father to probate my aunt’s Will as I feel that he didn’t distribute everything according to her wishes?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I help getting my father to probate my aunt’s Will as I feel that he didn’t distribute everything according to her wishes?

I need help on what I should do. I have call the probate court and they have no file on record and it has now been 3 years.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Estate Planning, Maine


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the problems that have occurred.  So let me understand: your Aunt's possessions have already been distributed?  But your Father did not probate the Will?  ANd he has the Will, correct?  Every state has a way to force the party that is named as the personal representative in the Will - the executor - to probate the Will.  It is probably called something like a motion to compel probate.  Once you bring te motion in probate court you are going to have to challenge your Father's distribution or his appointment as executor based on his improper distribution as you claim.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption