I have left my home to my present wife who has2 children, if we die together who inherits the house?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have left my home to my present wife who has2 children, if we die together who inherits the house?

Her children or my daughter? This home was purchased before I married my present wife. In the event of my death it goes to her. In the event of her death it returns to me.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is not one of those questions that is easy to answer.  If you had a Last Will and Testament prepared then you should have planned for this issue. You can indeed address the issue in your Will and you should.  You can have your attorney write in one of the paragraphs that should you die simultaneously it shall be deemed that she predeceased you so that the property remains in your estate for distribution to your daughter.  Otherwise, should the coroner determines that you predeceased her then the property goes in to her estate and her children - not your daughter - will inherit.  So please go and change the Will and speak with your attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption