Is it legal to work for 2 employers, 1 full time and 1 part-time, while on H1B?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to work for 2 employers, 1 full time and 1 part-time, while on H1B?

I used to work full-time for Company A still have an approved I-140 with this

firm; I have very good work relationship with them. A year ago, I moved to

Company B and have an H1B with them; they are currently applying for my PERM. My previous employer, Company A, asked me if I can work part-time variable hours each weak. Can I work full-time for Company B and concurrently work part-time for Company A? Is there any paper-work or process that me or my previous employer need to go through to make it happen?

Asked on October 9, 2018 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can work two jobs but both employers have to have an approved H-1B for you in order for this to happen.  However, if you already have one fulltime job, another job will most likely not be approved.  However, you can have two part time jobs, both in H1B status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption