Is it legal to get terminated after 4 months of employment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to get terminated after 4 months of employment?

I was enjoyed in a group staff home for the past 4 months I witnessed various problems reported to my director. After reported to my director

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

According to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, workplace retaliation occurs if your employer, supervisor or co-worker treats you unjustly or otherwise penalizes you for exercising something that is considered a “protected right". A protected right would be one that has to do with some form of legall actionable discrimination. In other words, it would have to involve lesser treatment due to race, religion, disability, gender, age (over 40), national origin, etc. Therefore, while your treatment is unfortunate, it idoes not give rise to a claim for workplace retaliation unless it violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption