What information will I need to prove a POA is invalid and will I have to go to court to do so?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What information will I need to prove a POA is invalid and will I have to go to court to do so?

My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s but had given me POA prior to her diagnosis. My estranged brother took my mother to a doctor she had never seen before without my knowledge (I didn’t even know he had been in contact with her). He had her deemed “sound of mind” just long enough for her to sign POA over to him and then immediately deemed unable to care for herself in order to take over as her guardian.

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  I think that maybe you should speak with an attorney in your area. If your brother brought a proceeding for guardianship of your Mother becuase of her lack of mental capacity then he would most likely have been appointed as the conservator of her estate at the same time, which would over rule the POA - yours and his.  You have the same right to be the person to over see your Mother and her estate. I think that you need to understand the legalities of the situation in detail.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption