Is it legal for someone to charge me to get my truck off their property?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for someone to charge me to get my truck off their property?

My uncle by marriage said I could put my truck on his property no problem. Now that I’m divorced and the truck has been sitting there for 6 years he says i have to pay him $1000 to get it back. Do I have to pay him to get my own truck back when he said I could put it there?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your uncle probably cannot charge you in this case. If he had, at the outset, said you'd have to pay some storage cost or fee, that would be legal. Or if you put the truck on his property without his permission, he may have grounds to seek compensation. But from what you write, your uncle had given you permission to park the truck there without having to pay anything. He may not after the fact change the agreement or offer to now require payment. If he will not let you have the truck back without paying, you may need to bring a legal action and seek a court order directing him to turn the truck over to you, however.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption