Is it illegal to take photohraphs of minors without their parents consent?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal to take photohraphs of minors without their parents consent?

My landlords wife took pictures of my minor daughter who was sitting in my car. They claimed she was out past curfew but this was 6 am?

Asked on August 5, 2012 under Personal Injury, Wisconsin


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally, it is not illegal to take photographs of someone when they are in a public place and as such have no reasonable expectation of privacy.  Sitting in a car on a public street in an open and public place.  Your daughter would have no reasonable expectation of privacy here so your landlord and his wife would be within their legal right to take her picture.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption