Is an apartment complex responsable if you slip and fall because snow and ice was not removed from the parking lot?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an apartment complex responsable if you slip and fall because snow and ice was not removed from the parking lot?

I slipped and fell breaking my hand which then had to have surgery to repair it.

Asked on February 22, 2015 under Personal Injury, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, landlords are liable for dangerous conditions on their property if they knew or should have known about the danger. Accordingly, if the landlord had knowledge of the slippery conditions (which assumably they would have if it had just snowed), then their failure to clear the parking lot of snow and ice would constitute negligence (and this is true of both the rental unit and common areas).

At this point, you should consult with an attorney who specializes in personal injury cases, they can best advice you as to your right sand remedies once they hear all of the details of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption