What constitutes embezzlement?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes embezzlement?

My former husband and I jointly owned a business. He bought boats with cash jobs that I was not aware of. I knew he had done some cash jobs but the last boat he bought cost a bit over $30,000. I had no idea he had taken that much in cash jobs.

Asked on October 4, 2010 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Embezzlement, by definition, means to willfully take or convert for one's own use, another's money or property, which was acquired legally through either an office or employment or position of trust.  Are you trying to imply that he embezzled funds from you, as his partner, even though you state here that you had knowledge of "some cash jobs" but not of others?  Did you question the cost of the boat and were the funds came from?  I think that you may be in a very difficult position here and that the illegality of the entire situation should be throwing up a big red flag.  Did you file joint tax returns?  I would seek legal counsel in all of this.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption