Is a minor 16yr old allowed to make legal decisions in traffic court without parents or legal gaurdian present.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a minor 16yr old allowed to make legal decisions in traffic court without parents or legal gaurdian present.

When our 16 year old daughter was brought into Vanderburgh County Indiana court
for a traffic violation, we were told we had to stay outside of the courtroom.

Asked on September 18, 2018 under General Practice, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If she was not emancipated (and she probably was not, unless she is married at age 16), she cannot make legally binding decisions without her legal guardians/parents present. If you were witnesses in her case, the court could legitimately make you wait outside while she testified, so your testimony was not influenced by hers, but otherwise you should have been present.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption