After several years divorced, can a couple have the divorce set aside or must they re-marry?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After several years divorced, can a couple have the divorce set aside or must they re-marry?

All property is jointly held, Wills have not been changed, bank accounts and loans are jointly owned, as well as credit cards.

Asked on October 25, 2010 under Family Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If the couple were only separated, they could reverse or undo that. Of the divorce somehow was never finalized, they may be able to set it aside. However, if the divorce was made final, then they are no longer married--their marriage ended. They can't "set aside" the divorce any more and resume their marriage, since the marrigage no longer exists. The fact that they have joint property and bank accounts, credit cards, etc. doesn't mean any more legally in this context than it  would for two people who've never been married to acquire property jointly, etc.--though it will presumably make things easier and more streamlined if and when they do remarry. Remember: they don't need a wedding, just a civil service and certificate, which can be very quick and inexpensive to get.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption