How to get an estate accounting from an executrix?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get an estate accounting from an executrix?

A couple of years back my grandmother passed away leaving her estate to my aunt (executrix) and myself and my sister. I’ve asked my aunt 4 times in the past 2 years if I could get some sort of statement on the account that was set up for my. Everytime she claims that the bank cannot give that information to me but she can make a copy of her bank book and give that to me. Is this legit? I’m starting to think my aunt is up to something. Although I cannot touch my money until I am 35 as per the Will. My aunt, being the executrix can pull money out whenever she wants from my account without me knowing or being there. Why can’t I get a statement or something on paper showing the account activity?

Asked on February 18, 2013 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should obtain the assistance of probate litigation counsel top file a petition for accounting forcing your aunt to provide the requested information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption