If someone locks you our before filing for an eviction and you never get served can you try to get it reversed

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone locks you our before filing for an eviction and you never get served can you try to get it reversed

I was living in my parents house. They
evicted me because they did not like my
boyfriend. They called the police and
they told them they thought I was being
held against my will because they were
mad I wouldn’t break up with him like
they wanted. I never received an
eviction notice because I was
technically homeless. Supposedly the
eviction has been finalized but I have
received no paperwork and have not been
told what I am supposed to do. My
parents texted me on July 9th and told
me that next Monday July 16th I have
between 11 a. M. And 5 p. M. New Link Destination
get all
of my things if I do not remove them by
then they will be removed the next day
by their company and thrown away. I
asked them if I could get help from my
friend they told me that no one was
allowed to help me it seems like they
are just trying to make it more
difficult for me because they want me to
do what they say.

Asked on July 11, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No one may be locked out without proper notice and a court hearing (which would also be on notice); all legal lockouts must go through the courts. If someone is illegally locked out (not on a court order or judgment), that person can go to the county court and seek a court order restoring them to their home, at least temporarily (that is, at least until they are properly locked out by the court). If you go to your county court's clerk's office or customer service office (if they have a customer service office; not all courts do), they can provide instructions on how to file to be let back in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption