If my husband signs divorce papers and I don’t, am I divorced or not?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband signs divorce papers and I don’t, am I divorced or not?

I’m assuming a judge signed the papers, but does that mean I’m divorced too or am I supposed to do something too?

Asked on January 6, 2011 under Family Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Do you know what exactly happened here?  Were you served with divorce papers from your husband?  Were they a Summons and Petition for Divorce?  And did you answer the Petition (by filing an Answer formally with the Court)?  If you were served with the papers above and you did not answer then your Husband had the right, after a certain period of time that is set by statute (generally 30 days or so), to request that the court enter a default against you.  Then the court can order you be divorced without you having to appear in court.  Find out what happened here exactly and then go and seek some legal counsel.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption