How do I notify my ex-husband and explain I will take him back to court for back alimony and child support, without having to hire an attorney?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I notify my ex-husband and explain I will take him back to court for back alimony and child support, without having to hire an attorney?

He owes me $2500 a month in alimony dating back to 2005.  He also owes me some child support, $1000 to 1500 total. My house is going into foreclosure and I do not have a car, its in the shop and I don’t have the money to pay for it. I need to go home; I work out-of-state and have no place to live there. I didn’t want to try and collect this money from him because he was so mean and angry and it was difficult to beg, so I chose to stop asking.

Asked on January 6, 2011 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Montana, like all states, has their own division of enforcement of child support orders.  You need to register the order and the back child support with them.  Also, it is most likely that you can sue your ex husband without an attorney in a family court setting and get a judgement for the alimony as well.  If you execute on the judgement then you can garnish his salary.  You should consider doing all of this soon.  And it is my understanding that there is a backlog of cases in the enforcement division so you may want to consider suing him for that as well or instead of using the enforcement division.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption