Citizenship through U.S. Parent

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Citizenship through U.S. Parent

I was told that I have not given enough information since my parents we’re never married. They are asking for a custody decree or a statement from a competent authority certifying that your state or country if birth presumes that you are in the legal custody of your U.S. citizen parent. A letter from an attorney citing the statue is also acceptable if accompanied by a photocopy of the statue. I am not 23 years old and no longer in my parents cusrody but I am a permanent resident and have documents from living with parent and all other necessary documents. Where do I even start I do not fully understand how to get any of this paperwork they are asking for.

Asked on August 30, 2018 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are a permanent resident and cannot come up with the necessary documentation, you will still be eligible to naturalize in your own right once you have been a permanent resident for 5 years.  What exactly is the concern you have or the need to get citizenship through your parent?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption