Out of status

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Out of status

I came to the US on a student visa and
I have been out of status for almost 3
years. I met someone here shortly after
I became out of status and this year we
decided to get married. The person I
am marrying is a US citizen. I am
wondering how the process will be to
get my status fixed and if there is a
possibility I will be deported for over
staying my visa.
Thank you

Asked on August 26, 2018 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, as long as you entered the US lawfully and can prove that lawful entry, if you get married to a US citizen, the marriage is bona fide and you file for adjustment of status on the basis of that marriage then you should be fine and any prior unlawful presence will be forgiven under the current immigration laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption