if im fired and i am provided an apartment as part of my job can they just take my keys and make me leave all my possesions there?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if im fired and i am provided an apartment as part of my job can they just take my keys and make me leave all my possesions there?

i was fired from my job as a mantience worker and was provided an apartment as
part of my pay. i was escorted out the door and forced to leave my stuff there.
they told me they would box up my stuff and put it outside

Asked on July 20, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, they cannot. They can evict you--if you received an apartment as part of your job, you cannot stay once you lose the job--BUT they have to evict you through the courts, by filing a proper eviction action and having the legal system (e.g. the sheriff) remove you after a hearing. 
Therefore, while you can't stay indefinitely after losing your job, they could not simply escort you out. You could potentially bring a legal action in court to be let back in on a temporary basis (if you want to explore that option, go your local court's clerk's office and explain the situation; they can provide instructions and forms), but if you have someplace you are in fact staying now, it's not clear if it's worth your while to just get back into a unit you will have to leave temporarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption