If I signed a1 year lease and satisfied it but forgot to give notice, can that landlord charge me for another whole year lease?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a1 year lease and satisfied it but forgot to give notice, can that landlord charge me for another whole year lease?

I have paid him for 60 day notice but he still wants me to pay for the whole year. He accepted the keys back to the home when I moved out.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read your written lease that you have with your former landlord in that its terms control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting law. If the lease has no automatic renewal provision within it, then after the passage of one year, your lease became a month-to-month lease.

Assuming the lease calls for an automatic renewal for another year if you did not give proper termination notice, the landlord is obligated to try and rent out the unit and if he or she does, you would only be responsible for the difference between your lease on a monthly basis and the new lease. I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption