If Iam not on the lease agreement and want to leave ASAP, amI requrired by law to give a 30 day notice?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iam not on the lease agreement and want to leave ASAP, amI requrired by law to give a 30 day notice?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are not on a written lease--but are paying rent (e.g. are not simply a guest, such as a boyfriend or girlfriend of the tenant) you are a month to month tenant on an oral lease. That means that yes, you owe 30 days notice that you are terminating tenancy. You would give the notice to the landlord, if you rent from him/her; or to the main tenant, if you are subletting. (Basically, give notice to whomever you pay rent to.) Or you could move out earlier and just pay the 30 days.

If you are guest, you should be able to move out at will, unless there is some other agreement to the contrary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption