If I am the only heir paying property taxes, can I get the property deeded to me?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am the only heir paying property taxes, can I get the property deeded to me?

I am one of several heirs of some property but for over 30 years I have been the only one to pay the taxes. Is there a form I can file and a procedure that I can take to get the property deeded to me? The tax bills are always sent to me with the estate name on it.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you own real property jointly with other people and you have been the only one paying the property taxes on the parcel or parcels without any contribution from the other owners, you have an equitable lien on the property or properties for payments made and accrued interest.

I would consult with a real estate attorney about your situation and record a notice of equitable lien on the properties and serve it on all other owners. The recording of the equitable lien may assist in getting you reimbursed especially if the property or properties are sold.

Unfortunately your other option is to sue the other owners for moneys expended for them. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption