Can my mom press charges on my boyfriend for violation of age of consent laws?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my mom press charges on my boyfriend for violation of age of consent laws?

I am currently 17 and dating an 18 year old. We have been dating for approximately 10 months and have a few ups and downs. My mom is threatening to call the police if I talk to him or see him. We are in the same grade and have been dating since we were 16 and 17. I was wondering if my mother’s threat is something I should take seriously and if the court would prosecute him as a sex offender (I’ve done some research and it is a misdemeanor but I do not want to put anything on his legal record). My parents are divorced. He has my dad’s approval and not my mother’s (I live with her).

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is always the possibility that if you are dating an adult (18 years of age) and you are 17 and if you two have been intimate then law enforcement can be contacted and a report taken based upon what your mother states where the report is submitted to the district attorney's office for review and the possible filing of criminal charges against him.

What I see in his and your favor is that you two are very close in age and have been dating for approximately two years or so when you both were minors. It sounds as though your mother is being somewhat extortive with you and your life. Most likely assuming your mother lodged a complaint against your boyfriend, the district attorney's office would not file any charges in your circumstances.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption