What can I do if my landlord seems to want to send people over for repairs, pest control or other issues without notifying me first?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my landlord seems to want to send people over for repairs, pest control or other issues without notifying me first?

The issue today was I was at work and he sent a pest control company over to spray the inside of the house. My daughter who is 16 was home alone at the time and would not let the person in because I had not told her they were coming. My landlord then called me at work basically yelling at me that my daughter would not let in the pest control people and when I told him that he needed to reschedule he told me that the new locking bedroom door knobs that I put on mine and my daughter’s bedroom doors are against the lease and that he will be sending me paperwork Monday to terminate my lease. I will be receiving an eviction notice.

Asked on October 30, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The landlord must provide reasonable notice (typically 24 hours or more) for non-emergency repairs, maintenance, kr extermination (no notice is required in emergencies); you should not be evicted when the landlord failed to provide notice, and if he seeks to evict you for this reason, you wpuld raise lack of notice as a defense.
If the door knobs are against the lease, you are in violation of the lease and could be evicted for that reasons, though generally, if you "cure" the problem by removing the knobs before court, you should be ok.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption