If I am on the lease and my housemate changes the locks and refuses to comply with my retrieval of my belongings how can I get the landlord to let me in?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am on the lease and my housemate changes the locks and refuses to comply with my retrieval of my belongings how can I get the landlord to let me in?

I am on the lease at my residence, but have given my formal notice that I will be vacating the premises by the end of the month. My housemate, who tried to violently attacked me 2 weeks ago, has changed the locks. I did not return for a week because of the attack, so I am not sure when she changed the locks. I spoke with the landlord and he has not agreed to comply with letting me into the house to retrieve my belongings. I want to go about this in the most professional and clean way, so I contacted the landlord first. Is there anything the police can do?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most likely if you called the police about your rental situation they will not want to get involved claiming it is a civil issue. The problem that I see is that if your landlord had agreed to not let you in the rental to retrieve your belongings he is part of a wrongful course of conduct with your housemate.

I would call your landlord to set a date to allow you access to the rental so that you can retrieve your belongings. Follow up the call with a letter confirming what was discussed, keeping a copy for future need. If he refuses to allow you access to retrieve your belongings, you will need to consult with a landlord tenant attorney regarding how you need to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption