What can I do about a stalker?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a stalker?

A man who lives in another state and whom I don’t know has threatened me multiple times and is using my first name in his business activity. He has called my house by getting my name from the owner of the website. He has been attacking me in various ways through the website like interfering with my communications in police related matters, asking me to meet him at places, etc. I don’t have money but wanted to know what action can be taken to to resolve this because its been effecting my life.

Asked on September 6, 2010 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Stalking is a crime in NJ and taken quite seriously. In order for an individual to be guilty of stalking, his conduct must be such that a reasonable person in the "victims" shoes would be imminently threatened. You can find the stalking and related laws (harassment; terroristic threats) at this site: http://www.aardvarc.org/stalking/states/njst.shtml. It lists the requirements of the crime. It should be noted that stalking generally it is a Fourth Degree Offense (but can be enhanced to a Third Degree Crime if certain  circumstances exist). A Fourth Degree stalking indictment involves jail exposure of up to 18 months whereas a Third Degree stalking indictment involves up to 5 years in jail. Both involve up to a $7,500 fine and more importantly, in either case, jail is clearly a real possibility.

The first thing that you now need to do is to file a police report.  The police can then tell you what to do from there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption