If I won an arbitration ruling against the former owner of my home, how to collect?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I won an arbitration ruling against the former owner of my home, how to collect?

I am not quite sure where the previous owner now calls home. He moves frequently for his job. How do I find him and where/how do I file the arbitration ruling for an official judgement?

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

IF you can find him and he does not pay voluntarily, you could potentially put a lien on property, garnish income or wages, execute on personal properly like cars, and/or levy on a bank account. The trick is finding him, which can be difficult. You may wish to hire a law firm which specializes in collections--they will know sources and techniques which you do not, have resources and connections you lack, and will often work for a percentage of what they recover so they are only paid if they collect. It's certainly worth a conversation with such a law firm or firms to see if they are interested in taking the case and under what arrangements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption