How can I make sure that my wife will inherit a property that I am a co-owner of?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I make sure that my wife will inherit a property that I am a co-owner of?

I was deeded property from my mother with my sister as co-owner. The deed stipulates that in the unforeseen death of one of us, the other would inherit the property. I would like to know if there is a way to insure that my wife would inherit this property in the event of my death without making out a new deed?

Asked on September 10, 2014 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what it sounds like here it seems that you and your sister own the property "with rights of survivorship" meaning that in the event with of you passes the other inherits the entire property outright.  Only the survivor will have the ability to will the property to another.  If neither of you wishes that then speak with a lawyer about same.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption