If I was fired due to false allegations and only received my lunch break for the last 3 months, do I have a case?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was fired due to false allegations and only received my lunch break for the last 3 months, do I have a case?

I was being discriminated by my manager and his boss because I made too high a wage. I was will this company for 3 years.

Asked on December 8, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) It doesn't matter if the allegations are false: unless you had a written employment contract which limited the reasons or way you could be terminated, you were an employee at will and could be terminated at any time, for any reason--including false allegations.
2) The law lets a company elect to terminate higher-wage or higher-cost employees, unless again, there was a written employment contract to the contrary.
3) If you were an hourly employee and worked at least 6 hours a day, you were owed an unpaid 30-minute lunch break each day. However, you would only have a claim for compensation now, after the fact, if you worked during lunch without being paid for it (if this happened, speak with the state department of labor about filing a wage and hour complaint). If you didn't get a lunch break but were paid for all time worked, you were paid properly and do not have a post-termination claim.
Salaried employees also would not have a claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption