I think my home was improperly assessed

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I think my home was improperly assessed

I think my home was improperly assessed for a number of years in Cook County. I
believe we underpaid assessments. The home next to us was sold and now our bill
went up 1200. By challenging the current real estate tax bill, will I open
myself up to having to pay retro tax bills for the assesor’s office error. Are
they allowed to retro bill me?

Asked on July 30, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They cannot retroactively re-assess you, unless it can be shown that you did something improper or illegal or fraudulent to cause the too-low assessment. Otherwise, you assessment was what it was, and so long as you paid it, you are good.
That, however, is the kicker: you must have paid whatever you were supposed to pay. If you paid less than your actual taxes were supposed to be at the time (for example: taxes should have been $6k/year, but you paid only $5k/year but they did not notice that for some reason), then they can now bill you for the amounts which you were supposed to pay based upon the assessment at the time but failed to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption