What to do if my medical tests results were given out to my grandmother without my permission?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my medical tests results were given out to my grandmother without my permission?

I recently had some blood work done by my doctor, as did my grandmother; we both use the same one. When she called to get her test results, she also asked about mine and was given those results. There was nothing wrong with my results but I’m furious that any of my info was shared without my consent. I live with my grandmother, but nowhere near being a minor. Is this something I can sue for, even if the information was given out by the receptionist?

Asked on March 14, 2014 under Malpractice Law, New York


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no private cause of action for a HIPAA violation.  You can report them to the federal Health and Human Services department.  Here is a link to file a complaint:  http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption