What to do if I recently found out that my former dentist may have performed unnecessary fillings on my teeth?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently found out that my former dentist may have performed unnecessary fillings on my teeth?

He was convicted of creating unnecessary diagnoses so that he could collect money from insurance and patients. The state dental board has revoked his license, put the revocation under suspension and put him on probation. He has been banned from billing Medicaid. I have a mouth full of possibly unnecessary fillings due his treatment. I would like to know if it is reasonable for me to expect compensation for this? The treatments took place 8 years ago; I still have some of his invoices.

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Malpractice Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, no--it is too late for you to bring a legal action, if eight years have gone by. That's because the too much time has gone by and the statute of limitations, or time to bring a suit, has expired. The longest you would have had in CA is three years from when you could have known of the issue--and since the fillings are visible and known to you, that's three years from when they were emplaced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption