I want to know what I can sue my doctor for?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to know what I can sue my doctor for?

He was treating me for a worker’s comp case and took me out of work until further evaluation. My job controverted it. It was being investigated. A video was “allegedly” presented to him by OIG. He claims the video showed me moving (doing life demands) and because I didn’t appear to be totally disabled “in the video”, he returned me to work and didn’t even notify me. The original diagnosis that he gave, he said it was only because of the way I presented myself during office visits. In the investigators report it says he said he was duped. I sought treatment elsewhere. I have a MRI to show that his original diagnosis was 100%. His betrayal and abandonment caused emotional distress and more.

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Malpractice Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way for an attorney to evaluate a possible claim against your treating physician is to bring the consulted attorney copies of all medical reports and invoices prepared by your treating physician for a possible medical malpractice claim so as to have a written legal opinion made as to possible liability and damages.

The problem that I see with your claim against your treating doctor is for a medical "opinion" as to your worker's compensation claim as opposed to actual treatment of a condition which was done improperly. In essence your claim against the doctor is for an "opinion" concerning your medical condition that you do not approve of with respect to your worker's compensation claim where the doctor is essentially an expert witness for you.

Given the above, proving any semblance of liability and damages agaist your doctor is a very difficult thing to establish under the law based upon my experience in such matters.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption