i received a summons for my brother who never lived at my address. what can i do to remove my address?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i received a summons for my brother who never lived at my address. what can i do to remove my address?

I received a summons for my brother who
is apparently going into foreclosure .
We don’t speak but my address is listed
on the summons. I had nothing to do
with the loan. The server looked
through my mail and said that he knew
my brother lived in my house. I want my
address removed from the summons. What
can I do?

Asked on August 26, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't matter if your address is on the summons: a summons is simply where they hope to find the defendant, and can be his home, a relative's home, a hotel room he's been staying in, his place of work, etc. Simply having your address on the summons in no way brings you into the lawsuit, which is good because there is no formal mechanism for removing an address from a summons. All you can and should do is send the lawyer for the forceclosing lender a letter, sent some way you can prove delivery (e.g. certified mail, preferably with return receipt requested) explaining that 1) your brother does not, and has never, lived there; and 2) you are not accepting service for your brother, since he does not live and you are neither his attorney nor authorized to accept service for him. Send another copy of the letter to court, referecing the docket number of the case, so they will put that in their file and not assume that your brother was properly served.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption