What to do if a company has not honored my request for cancellation of service?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a company has not honored my request for cancellation of service?

I purchased a software on line for $977 plus $197 per month for consultation. I signed both agreements. A few days later I found out the same software for $499 and no monthly fees. I called the company to cancel the account within the 30 days of purchase but they did not accept cancellation. They have been charging the 194 each month. Am I obligated to pay each month $197 since they did not accept my 30 day cancellation? I told them I didn’t need the service but they keep on charging. What do I do?

Asked on April 8, 2015 under General Practice, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the agreement you signed authorized cancellation within 30 days, then your timely cancellation is effective and you should not continue paying the monthly fee.

You can sue the company for breach of contract for refusing to honor the cancellation clause in its agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption