I need a divorce and I need to know how to get my wife’s name off the deed to the property.

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need a divorce and I need to know how to get my wife’s name off the deed to the property.

I live in texas and my wife has abandoned me and the property for the past 6 months in georgia with no plans on coming back. The home is 100% financed in my name and she is not contributing anything towards the mortgage at all. Please tell me what to do next to resolve my problem.

Asked on July 7, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek a divorce attorney in your area as your next step.  Although you did not specify I am assuming that the house was acquired during the marriage.  Therefore it is not separate property but community property.  In a divorce action Texas is a Community Property state.  It has been defined as:

"... property, other than separate property, acquired by either spouse during marriage. This is true even if only one spouse has possession of the property. Just because one spouse is named on the title, deed, or account; one person receives the asset as payment for personal services (ie: salary); or the asset will not be paid until a future date (ie: retirement) do not make it separate property. There is a presumptionthat all property possessed by either spouse is community property. Separate property ownership must be proven by clear and convincing evidence. "

A lawyer will help you either negotiate a settlement with your wife or help you start divorce proceedings, depending on what you want.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption