Can an online company refuse to honor a mutual agreement with a price quote guaranteed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an online company refuse to honor a mutual agreement with a price quote guaranteed?

I had contacted by a site to sell my old DVD’s online. This site makes several false and misleading claims on their website including a price quote guarantee. I had cleaned each DVD and about quater of the

DVD’s had never even been opened. I completed my order printed out the free shipping label and order summary and dropped off at a Fedex site. The site agreed to pay $95.00 for the DVD’s that I was sending. I have the order confimation saved. So I sent them, however, after 6 days without any status change or updates (which they claim that you will receive) I decided to call the phone number on the website to find out what was going on. After periodically calling throughout the whole day without any response besides an automated voice telling you to leave a message and they will get back to you in less than 24 hours I sent the company an email pointing out all the things they had lied about including the live customer supporti still have not spoke to a single person. They then sent me an email stating they had cancled my order for a variety of reasons, including that the DVD’s had a bad smell or were dirty which is also untrue. I still have received no payment. What can I do?

Asked on May 27, 2019 under Business Law, Mississippi


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to sue the company for breach of contract in small claims court; however, if the company is  out of state, your state may or may not have restrictions on the type of small claims case that can be filed against a party in another state. It would be advisable to discuss this with your small claims court advisor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption